Stevens Forest Elementary School - LEED® Management
Client: Penza Bailey Architects Baltimore, MD
Owner: Howard County Public School System
Project Location: Columbia, MD
TerraLogos is the LEED® consultant tasked with navigating this multi-phase, $8.7 million, 45,000 GSF project to a LEED® for Schools Silver rating. The full building renovation and addition will convert the 1970s open plan layout into a modern teaching facility with enclosed classrooms and separate Pre-K/Kindergarten space.
About the Project
The LEED® credit selection focused on energy efficiency and improved day-lighting to achieve lower operating costs while improving occupant comfort. The Project Team focused on creating a healthy learning environment for the students, teachers, staff, and visitors. This led to the extensive selection of healthy building materials, enhanced day-lighting, individual thermal and lighting controls, and high level acoustical design standards. Innovation credits include IDc3 School as a Teach Tool, the development of a Green Cleaning Plan, and specifying lamps with a reduced mercury content.
Environmental Design Features :
• Building envelope improvements to the existing exterior walls that include installing high efficiency windows and doors.
• Low VOC interior finishes.
• Improved the existing roof insulation and installed a new high reflective white roof.
• Construction of new sidewalks and bike lanes to tie into the existing county trail network.
• Salvage existing data system hardware for new