Langston/Brown High School Continuation & Community Center
Client: Arlington County Public Schools
Project Location: Arlington, Virginia
Cost: $7.5 Million
Completion: Summer 2003
TerraLogos: eco architecture served as Sustainable Design consultant and the LEED Coordinator throughout the duration of this progressive project, led by Beery Rio Architecture and Planning. This facility combines a Head Start Program, a senior day care center and community recreational facilities. TerraLogos provided the research in green building materials and led workshops with the entire Project Team to integrate the architectural elements with energy conservation strategies. As a result, this project was one of the first schools in Virginia awarded a LEED Silver rating.
Environmental Design Features
• Storm Water Management - Innovative combination of pervious pavement, bio-retention garden, rooftop rainwater collection to reduce flow and improve runoff quality
• Energy Savings of 17% over ASHRAE 90.1-1999 baseline case(estimated)
• Maximize use of Natural Daylight in classrooms utilizing clerestory windows and via glassed in 3 story Atrium at entrance.
• Rainwater catchment cisterns on front and back of building used for site irrigation and as “community billboard”
• Selection of recycled content materials, environmentally preferred construction products and healthy, non-toxic
interior finish material
• Coordinated with Arlington County Public Works department to recycle over 75% of the C